Current Bethel Status Report
- BLUE COVID-19 risk level:
- Low risk, increased readiness.
- Change in quarantine timeframe:
- The CDC has released updated guidance, endorsed by the Indiana Department of Health and St. Joseph Department of Health, that can reduce the length of quarantine for close contacts who do not develop symptoms. We are hopeful that the adoption of this quarantine approach within our community will ease the burden of time away for those who remain healthy. Read more about this guidance.
- In summary, the reduced quarantine guidance allows for a close contact who does not exhibit symptoms to return after:
- 10 days from last exposure
- OR 7 days from the last known exposure with a negative test result.
- Commencement 2021 and Celebrating the Class of 2020
- In-person 2021 Commencement Ceremonies for Bethel University are planned for May 1, 2021, at 10 a.m. for Adult and Graduate students and at 5 p.m. for Traditional Undergraduate students, with a nursing pinning ceremony at 1:30 p.m. In addition, the class of 2020 will be welcomed back to campus for a ceremony in their honor scheduled for Friday evening, April 30, 2021, at 6:30 p.m. COVID-19 precautions, including face coverings and physical distancing, will be observed throughout the ceremonies. All seating is reserved to facilitate contact tracing, with two tickets per graduate.
- Guest tickets will be for reserved seating with 6 feet of distance between family groups. Guests will be seated next to their graduate for the ceremony. No additional tickets will be available. Information on ticket distribution will be forthcoming. Plans are pending official approval from the St. Joseph County Health Department. Please check our Commencement page for more detailed information as it becomes available.
- Spring Semester 2021 modification - classes began Jan. 11
- Classes began two days later to allow a space of more than 14 days from Christmas gatherings and more than 10 days from New Year’s gatherings to the return to campus.
- We continue to remind all of our community members to be diligent in our mitigation measures, including daily self-checks, wearing face coverings, and physical distancing.
- Spring Break adjusted to March 1-3 (Mon.-Wed.)
- Easter break observed April 1 and 2 (Thurs. and Fri.), as originally planned
- Final's week remains April 26-29 and Commencement is scheduled for May 1, 2021
- Get full details here.
- View Bethel's COVID-19 Response Plan for 2020-2021 here, along with a summary page that outlines campus protocols and procedures. See below for more information and resources. Details will continue to be updated as we receive new information from national, state and local authorities.
- View Bethel Theatre's Policies and Procedures
COVID-19 Response Plan Documents
Here are the complete plan documents (PDFs) outlining our return to campus for you to download for quick reference:
- Partnership with Saint Joseph Health System
- Daily Self-Assessments and Testing
- Physical Distancing and Face Coverings
- Enhanced Cleaning and Disinfecting Protocols
- Residence Halls
- Food Service
- Student Accounts, Student Development, Financial Aid Contact Info
- Social Activities
- Campus Offices and Services
- Class Procedures
- Academic Field Experiences
- Performances and Academic Events
- Admission Visits
- Conference Services and Special Events
- Communication Plan
- Revised Academic Calendar, New Start Date
- Campus Gatherings Guidelines
Previously Released Information
If you're looking for older information on Bethel's response to COVID-19, visit our Archive page.
- August 2020 Commencement details
- President Chenoweth's face-to-face return to campus video