Bethel University takes seriously the health, safety and well-being of our community members, and we are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19). There are currently no confirmed cases on Bethel's campus.
Members of the BU Emergency Management Team are regularly reviewing information and implementing recommendations from the Indiana and St. Joseph County departments of health, the CDC and the WHO. We are also in contact with other leaders in higher education – including colleagues from the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities, the Council for Independent Colleges, and Independent Colleges of Indiana – to review current information and share best practices.
For any students who have a fever, cough and/or difficulty breathing you should:
- If you are on campus, stay confined to your room and notify the following:
- If it is during office hours, call the Wellness Center – 574.807.7374
- If it is outside of normal office hours, call the on-call Resident Director – 574.807.7838
- If you are unable to reach the Wellness Center or a Resident Director, call Campus Safety – 574.807.7500
- Staff in these areas are equipped with thermometers, masks and contact information for local health resources to triage concerns. If isolation is needed for a period of time, these offices are also prepared to assist.
- If you are off campus and believe you have symptoms of coronavirus, stay confined to your home and call your primary health care provider who can advise you on next steps.
- Avoid chapel, class, practice or other public campus spaces until you have been evaluated by a medical provider. Please note that you will still be obligated to meet requirements for chapel and classes, but the university will work with you to create a plan for meeting requirements. This could include adjusted due dates or alternate arrangements (for example, listening to chapel online). As soon as you know that you will not be able to attend class, chapel, practice, etc., please contact the appropriate person (for example, your professor, the Student Development office, or your coach) to notify them and make arrangements.
- When seeking medical care from a doctor’s office, urgent care facility or emergency room, call before you go and tell them about any recent travel and your symptoms.
For faculty and staff who are experiencing fever, cough and/or difficulty breathing you should:
- Stay confined to your office or your home.
- Call your primary health care provider who can advise you on next steps.
- Contact your supervisor and make appropriate arrangements for being out of the office.
- Consult with the HR handbook regarding policies for sick time. If you have run out of sick time, please contact HR@BethelUniversity.edu so we can work with you on an alternate arrangement.
As the situation with the coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to unfold, we will update this web page as we have new information about Bethel’s response.
You can find additional information about the coronavirus at the following websites:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
U.S. Department of State
Indiana State Department of Health
World Health Organization (WHO)