Bethel University takes seriously the health, safety and well-being of our community members, and we are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19). Members of the BU Emergency Management Team are regularly reviewing information and recommendations from the CDC and Indiana and St. Joseph County Departments of Health.
What BU is Doing
While there have been no confirmed COVID-19 cases at Bethel University or in the state of Indiana, the university is taking the following steps across campus to assist in keeping members of the community healthy.
- Hand sanitizing stations throughout campus have been refilled and are being monitored regularly.
- Housekeeping staff recently disinfected the entire campus, including all public spaces and common areas in the residence halls.
- The Office of Community and Global Engagement is actively monitoring all current and upcoming domestic and international travel involving students and teams, and following CDC recommendations.
What You Can Do
The best ways to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including flu, are to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or the inside of your elbow. Immediately throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Get a flu vaccine if you have not yet done so.
Additional recommendations for people with respiratory symptoms:
If you have symptoms of fever, cough, and/or difficulty breathing you should:
- Stay confined to your room/office and notify any of the following:
- Campus Nurse (during office hours) – 574-807-7374
- Campus Safety – 574-807-7500
- Resident Director (if on campus) - see Residential Hall Guidebook for numbers.
- Seek medical care right away. Before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them about any recent travel and your symptoms.
- St. Joseph Hospital ER – 574-335-1110
- Memorial Hospital ER – 574-647-7458
The BU Emergency Management Team will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates accordingly.
You can find additional information about the coronavirus at the following websites:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- U.S. Department of State
- Indiana State Department of Health
- World Health Organization (WHO)